Talking about the future

There are several ways of talking about the future in English.

THE FUTURE WITH ‘WILL’
You put the verb will in front of the main verb. This is the most common way of expressing future time. The short form of will is ’ll and the short form of will not is won’t. You usually use these in spoken English instead of will or will not. The main verb can be either in its ‘simple’ form or in its ‘progressive’ form.

Ex:-I will talk to them.
-We’ll have a break at six o’clock.
-I’ll talk to them.
-He’ll be arriving later.
-Don’t worry – I won’t break it.

You use will in this meaning in sentences that begin I’m sure, I think, I expect, I suppose, I doubt etc, or with words such as probably, perhaps, certainly etc.

Ex:-“Do you think Carla will pass her test?” “Yes, I’m sure she will.”
-I’ll see him again soon.
-They say it’ll probably snow tomorrow.
-Perhaps things will be better next week.

THE FUTURE WITH ‘SHALL’
In British English, you often use shall in questions when making suggestions about what to do, or when discussing what to do. This use is rare in American English.

Ex:-Shall we go now?
-What shall I tell Mike?

In formal British English, you can sometimes hear I shall used to express future time.

Ex:-I shall try to persuade them.
-This is very rare in American English.

THE FUTURE WITH ‘BE GOING TO’

You use a form of be going to to say that something will happen soon.

Ex:-It’s going to rain.
-Watch out – you’re going to hit that tree!
-I think I’m going to be sick.

You also use a form of be going to to talk about someone’s intentions, or what they have decided to do.

Ex:-I’m going to ask for my money back.
-Lucy is going to travel round the world when she leaves school.

THE FUTURE WITH ‘BE ABOUT TO’
You use be about to to say that something will happen almost immediately.

Ex:-Take your seats, please. The show is about to begin.
-The situation is about to change.

THE FUTURE WITH THE PRESENT PROGRESSIVE
You use the present progressive (he’s leaving, they’re starting etc) with a word or phrase expressing future time to talk about something that will happen because you have planned or arranged it.

Ex:-We’re leaving on Saturday morning.
-I’m having a party next week – do you want to come?

THE FUTURE WITH THE SIMPLE PRESENT
You use the simple present (it starts, we arrive etc) with a word or phrase expressing future time, to say that something will definitely happen at a particular time, especially because it has been officially arranged.

Ex:-The next plane to Los Angeles leaves at 6:25.
-The meeting is on Thursday.
-What time does the show start?

You use the simple present in subordinate clauses to talk about the future, for example in clauses that begin with when, if, unless, before, after, and as soon as. Don’t use will in this kind of clause.

Ex:-I’ll call you when I get back. NOT I’ll call you when I will get back.
-If the bus leaves on time, it will get there by 6. NOT If the bus will leave on time, it will get there by 6.